fake snow and a freebie

Snow in the south is pretty rare, even though we were thrilled to receive a few inches the day after Christmas. I had high hopes of photographing my children knee ankle deep in the snow for my January blog banner.  But, thanks to the new kitten, my allergies had other plans. Through my throbbing head and sandpaper eyes, I was able to snap a few shots, but nothing blog banner worthy. So, I dug deep into my photo archives and found a set of my favorite snow pictures. Images that were taken in 2006 on an 80 degree day. I was simple, no photoshop magic or travel was involved! Here's how;
Here's what you will need:

1. A few bags of fake snow. I found mine at Wal-mart for $1 a bag. I would suggest buying at least 3 bags.
2. Winter Accessories. Snow pictures look great in black and white, so scarves, hats and coats do not have to match. And, funky mixed patterns photograph great!
3. A sheet or a table cloth. This will let you scoop and and reuse the fake snow.
4. A helper or two to sprinkle  the fake snow over their head, while you are taking the pictures.
5. A camera with a flash. (the flash will freeze the motion of the snow)
6. Basic photo editing software

 Then, this picture...
with a little bit of cropping and color change, becomes THIS.
 No photoshop magic required.
 Just a cooperative child, a little cropping and the Black and White option
And for under $5, 
you can turn your front yard into a snowy winter wonderland! 
Small disclaimer... I really wanted a picture of my kids catching a snowflake on their tongue. Well... it tastes awful. So absolutely terribly awful,  the gagging and foaming at the mouth could not be erased even with the most extensive photoshop program. Notice Anna Katherine's tight lips. She learned the hard way. 
a freebie
If you try these snow pictures with your kids, your pets or your husband; I would love to see your finished product. For each blog friend to email me an image, I will print one image (freebie) on the new professional metallic paper (it's incredible!) and mail it directly to you.

Please email your JPEG image to Heidi by January 10th.  Please include your mailing address. I will post them (only) on this blog in a couple weeks.

and have fun!


heidi said...

hi heidi! thanks for the stop on my blog! guess what, i did a little research and i am just up the road in simpsonville! small world!
GREAT photography bytheway, wish you were a touch closer!

bevy said...

That is brilliant... And you are an amazing photographer!

makesnowmagic.com said...

Wonderful ideas to show your points :)
Kwik-Snow is a fun and exciting product that makes artificial snow in seconds. Kwik-Snow will provide hours, days and even weeks of fun for both kids and adults. Now you can have instant snow anywhere on demand even where it never snows, Kwik-Snowc an make artificial or fake snow decoration even in the middle of the desert. Imagine being the envy of all your neighbours.

makesnowmagic.com said...

Wonderful ideas to show your points :)
Kwik-Snow is a fun and exciting product that makes artificial snow in seconds. Kwik-Snow will provide hours, days and even weeks of fun for both kids and adults. Now you can have instant snow anywhere on demand even where it never snows, Kwik-Snowc an make artificial or fake snow decoration even in the middle of the desert. Imagine being the envy of all your neighbours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Designed by FlexyCreatives