thought you weren't looking


I love  this poem. Always have.The first time I read it was when I was teaching... many years ago. It still makes me stop... and think.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my drawing on the refrigerator, and I wanted to draw another one.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and it wasn't even my birthday, and I knew that little things are special things.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I believed there is a God I could always talk to.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I felt you kiss me goodnight, and I felt loved.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you become very angry, and stay calm and "use your words", and I learned to do that too.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give my clothes that didn't fit any more to those less fortunate, and I learned to reach out to others to help.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you read, just for fun, and I learned to love books, and learning.


* When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you look at the night sky, and I learned to see beauty in the world around me.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I heard you sing as you worked, and I learned that work can bring great satisfaction.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you fail, and make mistakes, and I saw you keep doing your best, and I learned perseverance.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared and I wanted to be everything that I could be.


* When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked . . .  and wanted to say thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.
{It is impossible - for me - not to include a picture with every post. sooo.... here is my sweet nephew. We are celebrating his first birthday party today.}
jen said...

I just love that poem. I have never heard it before but it sure brought a tear to my eye. Makes me want to be a better mom.
Your nephew is just the cutest thing ever!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Designed by FlexyCreatives